Bristol, with some travel required
Fixed term appointment until May 2022
The Office for Students (OfS) is the regulator for higher education in England. Our primary aim is to ensure that English higher education is delivering positive outcomes for students – past, present, and future. Our objectives are to ensure that students, from all backgrounds (particularly those from the most disadvantaged backgrounds):
1. Are supported to access, succeed in, and progress from, higher education
2. Receive high quality academic experience and their interests are protected while they study or in the event of provider, campus or course closure
3. Are able to progress into employment or further study, and their qualifications hold their value over time.
4. Receive value for money.
The Access Inclusion and Skills Directorate (AIS) supports the Director for Fair Access and Participation (DFAP) who leads on the OfS’ work to promote equality of opportunity in access and participation in higher education and supports technical pathways through higher education and progression into postgraduate education and research.
Our approach to regulation states that, ‘our regulatory framework enables the Director for Fair Access and Participation to develop a bold new approach to supporting social mobility, and equality and diversity, through higher education. We will be radical and ambitious to make sure we deliver on the promise of higher education as an engine for social mobility, and a gateway to a better life for those who undertake it’.
As a Directorate, our goal is to ensure that all students from all backgrounds, with the ability and potential to benefit from higher education, should be supported to access, succeed in and progress from higher education. This is achieved through:
• Developing and implementing access and participation policy and strategy
• Issuing guidance on, assessing and monitoring access and participation plans
• Identifying and promoting effective practice in relation to access and participation, equality and diversity, and diverse pathways into and through all levels of higher education, and for employability, skills and the plan for growth
• Developing and delivering funding in support of these activities.
The purpose of the role ‘Access and Participation Plan Manager’ is to co-ordinate the delivery of access and participation (A&P) regulation so that it delivers the OfS statutory duties and the regulatory framework, together with its strategic objectives in this area.
Responsibilities include co-ordinating the successful delivery of access and participation regulation to meet OfS requirements across all providers and ensure it is consistent with the wider regulatory framework; continuing to implement the OfS’s reformed approach to access and participation; ensuring that regulation draws on and influences evidence on effective practice; managing engagement with students, universities, colleges and other stakeholders in relation to access and participation regulation.
For the post you will need to be able to demonstrate how you are able to: engage with internal and external stakeholders to both influence policy and practice and ensure they are well briefed on OfS expectations; understand and apply good regulatory practice in the context of higher education and understand the regulatory duties and functions of the OfS; act autonomously and exercise judgement in work and people management; deal with complexity and ambiguity in the design and delivery of policy; understand the data and information landscape for complex policy and practice areas; synthesize complex information and link this to OfS strategy
Application deadline: 4 May 2021.
Interview: 17 May 2021.