Home News Chlorine gas panic: 24 people rushed to hospital after chemical mix-up at...

Chlorine gas panic: 24 people rushed to hospital after chemical mix-up at UK hotel

208
0

Capital S Coast News tweeted: “24 people have been taken to hospital after chlorine gas was released at the Solent Hotel in Whiteley. Fire crews say two chemicals were accidentally mixed, and people were treated for gas inhalation.”

Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service confirmed crews from Hightown, Fareham, Cosham, Portchester, St Mary’s and Romsey worked alongside paramedics and the Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) from South Central Ambulance Service (SCAS) last night (Monday 23 August), after a hazardous materials incident at the hotel

Crews were called at 8:44pm after reports that a number of hotel guests had been overcome by fumes in the spa area after two chemicals had accidentally been mixed together and created chlorine gas.

Firefighters began immediate emergency care, set up a casualty handling area, and requested the ambulance service to attend.

A ventilation fan was used to clear the fumes and firefighters took the vessel containing chemicals to fresh air.

Gas monitors were then used to check that the scene was safe.

In total, 24 people were taken to hospital by ambulance crews.

Station Manager, Dave Graham, said: “This was a large-scale incident with multiple people requiring medical treatment for the inhalation of gas.

“We worked well alongside our colleagues from SCAS and SCAS HART to make sure that everyone received the help they needed and to ensure that the scene was made safe.

“We handed the incident over to the hotel management.”

The stop message was received at 1:27am.

(More to follow)

Previous articleStomach bloating: Two natural and effective ways to help reduce painful symptoms
Next articleBristol Rovers transfer news and rumours live: Hanlan latest as Gas enter final week of window

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here