If you’re looking for a finance job that’s more than just numbers, WHSmith adds up. The team supports both the High St Business plus whsmith.co.uk. And that’s not all. With franchises, new acquisitions, the International business, Funky Pigeon and Post Office, Finance is wide-ranging, making a huge impact on business decisions – from long-term planning to in-store promotions!
Within the Commercial and Stores Finance teams, everything depends on the overall trading environment and our competitors. It’s fast-paced and you never know what will happen next. We’re now recruiting for a Commercial Finance Analyst to join our team reporting to the Head of Commercial Finance.
The aim of this role is to provide financial and analytical support to the trading team, producing weekly routine reports along with ad hoc trial analysis, as well as supporting with the production of budgets and forecasts for the commercial P&<. You will also manage the weekly and month end reporting, including journal processing and reconciliations and support with audit requirements and ensure a clean cut off at half year and year end.
What you’ll be doing:
• Month end income reconciliations
• System downloads for month end
• Post Office weekly and monthly reporting of performance, staff costs and losses
• Weekly reporting for Crown Post Office Division
• Month end accounting for PO Retail P&< supported by the Head of Stores Finance
• Month end Journal Postings for Post Office
• Uploads and reconciliations of data to Cognos
• Reporting and Control of Markdown for Impulse trading team
• Holiday cover for Commercial Finance and Stores team members – including reporting and adhoc requests
• Ad-hoc requests for reporting of commercial trials in stores and Post Offices
• Control and reporting of Buyer Price Queries for the Commercial Team
• Assistance in income recognition work at H1 and H2 for external audit
What we are looking for:
• Part Qualified Accountant (CIMA would be preferable)
• Experience of forecasting and budgets would be ideal
• Advances Excel skills
• Attention to detail
• Ability to work under pressure and strict adherence to deadlines
• Excellent organisational skills
• Flexible and open to change
• Reliable and thorough – right first time
• Excellent interpersonal, influencing & communication skill
• Proactive & analytical
You may know we operate on the high street, in rail and bus stations, airports, hospitals, universities and workplaces. But did you know we’ve been around since 1792 and have over 14,000 employees across the globe and have consistently outperformed other major retailers over the past ten years. We continue to grow by putting our customers first and have a strong culture of innovation and entrepreneurialism. At WHSmith we love progressing our people, so there are No Limits to where your career can go!
What’s in it for you?
We’re a company that values our people; from day one you will receive ongoing support and have access to our various training and development programmes as well as exciting career development opportunities for your future. We offer a wide range of benefits to say thank you for all your hard work including; a competitive salary, a profit related bonus, 24 days holiday plus your birthday off, pension, as well as other perks such as our popular holiday trading scheme.
Our success is down to our fantastic, diverse team. We welcome applications from everyone – whoever you are.