Construction Cost Manager / Estimator
Swindon or London Head Office (with travel)
Due to our continued growth and exciting new initiatives across our UK Travel and High Street retail estate, we are currently recruiting a Cost Manager / Estimator to join our talented Construction team. This role requires a minimum of 2 days a week in our Swindon or London Head Offices as well as visits to various potential sites across the UK.
This is a key role to support the business by informing all stakeholders of likely capital costs across a range of various developments, giving inputs on cost risks and opportunities at the feasibility stage of the process, and ensuring that cost governance is adhered to, and best value is achieved throughout the build.
We currently have a small internal commercial team within the wider construction department, this role will be required to communicate efficiently between other members of the construction department, as well as supporting colleagues within design, procurement, business development, and commercial teams, therefore the ability to manage a demanding workload and work efficiently across multiple teams internally and externally is key.
We’re looking for a Construction Cost Manger / Estimator to join our construction team. With a large number of new initiatives, refurbishments, new stores and alterations to existing stores, across High Street, Rail Stations, Hospital and Airport locations, we need to ensure that works are carried out at best value, with accurate early budgeting being provided and all projects being delivered within capital sign-offs.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for ensuring that the commercial processes are adhered to throughout the build. You will take limited information (existing / proposed plans, existing condition reports, and proposed specification) and build a robust estimate based on experience and a catalogue of previous projects. You’ll be expected to provide insight into cost risks and opportunities for each project, and give accurate indicative costs for proposed design changes, giving other stakeholders the ability to ensure that informed decisions can be made prior to implementation.
If you can bring a logical, methodical mindset, and are driven to provide continual improvement, can by highly self-motivated and can provide sound analytical cost reasoning, then we can offer you the chance to build a career with a business that puts people at the heart of its strategy.
What you’ll do:
* Complete initial cost estimates – using information from previous schemes alongside cost experience and basic project information.
* Provide clear cost options for design variables; highlighting cost risks to ensure that mitigation steps can be put in place;
* Update and evolve cost estimates as scope documents and decisions are refined;
* Assist Project teams with the change control process, cost queries, cost options and cost risks;
* Ensure projects are set up commercially to allow for Project Managers to deliver successfully;
* Analyse construction costs and update existing various cost models, highlighting future cost risks and trends, using the outcomes to help create a targeted procurement approach;
* Monitor project costs and ensure cost governance;
* Develop and maintain good relationships with stakeholders within the construction department and wider business;
* Assist the procurement team to ensure cost saving objectives are achieved.
What we are looking for:
* A construction background, preferably with retail construction experience;
* Cost Management and / or construction estimating experience;
* Degree level construction / built environment degree, having either achieved or working towards RICS (or equivalent) accreditation
* Experience of working within a construction commercial team, preferably in retail construction;
* Highly proficient in the use of MS Excel;
* A self-motivated, driven individual with a logical and methodical mindset who continually seeks process improvements / refinements;
* A full UK driving licence with flexibility to travel on occasion to various UK sites.