Financial Accountant – International
Swindon Head Office, Greenbridge
Australia, Singapore, Spain – just three of the 30+ countries where you can find our stores. Our International business has experienced rapid growth in recent years. You’ll find us at airports, stations, hospitals and shopping malls all over the world, with stores run directly, through joint ventures or via ‘Franchise Partnership’ models. It’s an integral part of the company’s growth strategy.
We now have an exciting opportunity for a qualified Financial Accountant to join our Finance team based at our Head Office in Swindon. Reporting into the Financial Accounting Manager, you’ll play a key role in ensuring the integrity of WHSmith’s International business’ accounts.
What you’ll do:
• Support the month end close – monthly balance sheet, working capital and statutory cash flow
• Support the monthly consolidation of the International accounts
• Ensure the balance sheet is fully reconciled and controlled, including responsibility for key areas such as stock and fixed assets
• Support the Financial Accounting Manager in ensuring interim and full year Financial Statements/audits are completed to deadlines and with no adjustable items
• Business partner Commercial, Operational and Finance colleagues in the UK and Internationally
• Support the stock take process and ensure the results are fully understood and recorded in the system and accounts, along with monitoring and controlling foreign currency transactions.
• Maintain cash forecasts, ensuring cash is well managed across the International businesses
• Conduct periodic visits to international businesses to ensure good financial governance and to assist in any matters arising throughout the year.
Who we’re looking for:
We are looking for someone that is a Qualified accountant (CIMA, ACCA, ICAEW) with previous experience in a similar role or looking to make their first move from practice to industry. Experience within the retail industry would prove advantageous; however an interest in International Retail is vital. You will be an excellent communicator who can engage, communicate and influence with both financial and non financial managers. Your planning and organisational skills will be excellent and you’ll be able to prioritise a broad and extensive range of activities.
You’ll have excellent analytical skills and a strong user of Microsoft Excel, including Pivot Tables, V-Lookups and Sum Ifs. You must have a keen eye for detail and accuracy, to ensure all financial data is summarised in a logical and informative manner appropriate for a variety of audiences.
What’s in it for you?
You’ll be at of the hub of an incredibly fast-moving function and you’ll be trusted to make decisions that benefit the business. It’s a serious responsibility – which will seriously motivate you. You’ll thrive on the freedom and the chance to use your skills and will be supported with plenty of training and development opportunities. What’s more, you can expect some fab rewards, including an achievable annual bonus, 24 days’ holiday (and the option to buy more) Plus, a competitive pension, the perks of your birthday off and an early finish on Fridays, and lots more!