Home News House gutted by fire which ‘could have been much worse’

House gutted by fire which ‘could have been much worse’

45
0

Firefighters from all over Bristol and North Somerset rushed to attend a major fire that has completely gutted a house in South Bristol this morning (Friday, July 9).

The man living in the house escaped unharmed as the flames took hold in an upstairs room of the terraced home in Pearl Street, in The Chessels area of Bedminster.

The fire broke out at around 8.20am, and crews from Bedminster, Hicks Gate, Southmead, Kingswood, Avonmouth, Temple and Portishead attended the blaze.

READ MORE:Major fire in Bedminster – as it happened

The emergency call centre team took more than 15 calls from worried residents as a big plume of smoke rose into the sky over BS3 and could be seen from across the city centre and Clifton.

Firefighters used hose jets from the front and back of the house, as well as an aerial appliance which poured water down onto the house after its roof collapsed.

Neighbours of the man rallied round to support him as firefighters went to work, and the Red Cross and social services were also in attendance to support the man, who has lived in the street for decades and is a well-known figure locally.

One neighbour, who declined to be named, said: “It’s just awful what’s happened, because his house and all his stuff are just completely gone.

“We’re all just glad he got out ok because this could have been much worse,” he added.

As a firefighter towered over the fire at the top of the aerial appliance, incident commander Neil Stradling, the watch manager from Avonmouth, explained that once they knew the resident of the house had managed to get out, they concentrated on tackling the blaze from outside, and containing the fire to stop it spreading to other properties.

Six firefighters wearing breathing apparatus were deployed to tackle the fire, and hoses were deployed from rear gardens.

“It was a challenging fire to tackle as it was centred upstairs,” he said. “We had initial reports that there was a man inside but on arrival we found the man had managed to evacuate himself.




“So we weren’t going to risk our firefighters so we decided to tackle the fire from the outside

We’ve had hoses in on the fire from the front, the back and above with the aerial appliance,” he added.

“It’s still alight but under control and we’re in the process now of reconfiguring our resources here and scaling back the number of appliances here,” he said.

Fire investigation officers were at the scene late morning, as crews continued the work of damping down the blaze, but the house is completely gutted.

Want our best stories with fewer ads and alerts when the biggest news stories drop? Download our app on iPhone or Android

Previous articleGardening: Deter slugs from your garden ‘organically’ with beer, says Gardeners’ World
Next articleNearly 120 Bristol schools hit with covid

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here