The victim has been named as Keane Flynn-Hartling, from the local area.
The attack took place on Monday, in Oval Place, at 11.45pm.
Officers from the Met’s specialist crime command are heading the investigation.
In a statement, Detective Chief Inspector Dan O’Sullivan said: “Officers are working around the clock, pursuing a number of leads and enquiries following this sad and needless loss of another young life on the streets of London.
“My officers will do all they to find the person or persons responsible.
“A number of people have spoken to us already, but there are more who have yet to come forward.
“I continue to urge anyone with information to speak to us about what you know – it could prove crucial in bringing Keane’s family justice.”
There have been no arrests in connection with the incident.
Chief Superintendent Colin Wingrove, who heads local policing in Lambeth and Southwark, reiterated the appeal.
He commented: “I am shocked and saddened by the senseless loss of another young life to knife crime.
“I am also deeply saddened that another family experiences the painful loss of a son, and the trauma knife crime brings is once again experienced in our local community.
“Our thoughts are with Keane’s family who are being supported by specialist officers.
“We are working tirelessly to investigate the circumstances surrounding this terrible incident and are supporting officers from Homicide Command bring those responsible to justice.
“Every loss of life is a tragedy and this needless violence must end. I urge anyone with information to come forward.”
Chief Superintendent Wingrove added if residents have any additional concerns, they should “contact your local policing team”.
An increased police presence in the area should be expected to reassure the public.
Anyone with information about the attack is urged to call police on 101, or tweet @MetCC, quoting CAD 8532/05Jul.
Alternatively you can call Crimestoppers anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
On Wednesday Home Secretary Priti Patel unveiled new powers to fight child knife crime.
From this week knife crime prevention orders can be deployed in London.
With a courts consent these rules mean restrictions can be placed on access to knives, movements and social media use of at risk children.
There have been 21 teenage murders in London so far this year, of which 19 were carried out with a knife.
Ms Patel said: “Knife crime is a tragedy which rips families apart, and one of the hardest parts of my job is meeting the loved ones left behind.
“These orders will allow police to ask the courts to ban people as young as 12 from carrying a knife, as well as restrict their movements and use of social media.
“They can also intervene to turn a youngster’s life away from crime – by offering educational courses, sporting pursuits, relationship counselling, anger management, mentoring and drug rehabilitation. These orders are part of my commitment to keep the British people safe.”
More to follow…