Diversions are in place after a lorry crashed through the central reservation of the M4 near Bristol this morning (Friday, December 3), closing the eastbound carriageway of the motorway along with lane three going westbound.
Highways England said that the lorry crossed over from the westbound to the eastbound carriageway between junctions 18 and 19 causing huge damage to the central reservation and resulting in a “significant” diesel spill.
M4 TRAFFIC LIVE: Lorry crashes through central reservation between Bristol and Bath
Traffic is being re-routed on the M4, with motorists on the eastbound carriageway instructed to leave the road at junction 19 towards the M32 southbound, where diversions are in place to rejoin the M4 eastbound as follows:
- Exit the M4 eastbound at J19 and at the roundabout, take the second exit to join the M32 southbound
- Exit the M32 at J1 and take the first exit onto the A4174. Continue for approx. 1.5 miles
- At the A4174/A432 Wick Wick roundabout, take the first exit on to the A432 northbound
- Continue on the A432 passing through Nibley, Yate and Old Sodbury until the A432/A46 junction
- Turn right onto the A46 and continue for approx. 1.5 miles
- Rejoin the M4 eastbound at J18
Traffic cameras show major queues leaving the M4 eastbound as motorists exit the motorway to follow the diversion.
HIghways England says that traffic is expected to return to normal between 9:45am and 10am, with the incident clearing entirely between 10am and 10:15am.