Join an integral part of the UK’s Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our armed forces’ equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food, and ammunition. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country’s Armed Forces to deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply online now!
We recognise the challenges that people with (multiple) protected characteristics may experience on the job market and in their career progression. We are fully committed to being an inclusive employer and ensuring equal opportunities. We are keen to make our workforce as diverse as possible, and we hope to attract applications from underrepresented groups, including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) people, people with a disability, and people with gender diverse identities.
You will be based out of the location listed above in the advert, however, DE&S supports Smarter working, which empowers you to make decisions about when, where and how you work.
Are you passionate about the defence of the United Kingdom, with a good moral compass and a drive to protect people? If so, Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) are actively recruiting for Safety Engineers, who are really looking to make a difference, as intelligent decision makers, integral to supporting our Armed Forces.
You have the opportunity to work across varied Defence Maritime or Land portfolios, with both domains looking for Safety professionals with drive, resilience and ambition. You will work to provide safety support to teams throughout the equipment and platform acquisition lifecycle, which may span requirement setting in the concept phase and design, through to in-service support of our current platforms and their eventual disposal.
If deployed into the Ships Domain, you can expect to be assigned to a specific platform Class (e.g. our Mine Countermeasure vessels), to a portfolio of equipment or systems (e.g. our Combat Systems, Marine Electrical or Mechanical teams), or to our Ships Safety and Environmental HQ.
If deployed within the Land Domain, you would have the opportunity either to work on projects in the Land Equipment Operating Centre. This could include, amongst other platforms, the opportunity to be involved with Challenger 2, Boxer or AJAX, or within the Integrated Battlespace Operating Centre, where you could either work with small teams to deliver projects at pace, or be employed in a policy & assurance capacity.
Please note that some of these posts are non-reserved, open to candidates from the UK, EU and Commonwealth (and dual nationals of these areas), whilst some are reserved and open to sole UK nationals only.
As a Safety Engineer within DE&S, you will work to establish, implement and maintain appropriate Safety Systems through the application of DE&S policy. Your responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to, the following:
– Interpreting and applying safety policy for the design and support of platforms and equipment
– Managing Safety Cases
– Generating Safety Case Reports and undertaking risk assessments
– Identifying opportunities for improvements and delivering against these
– Setting up, running and maintaining safety systems at project level, as well as overseeing and mitigating risks
– Implementing safety management systems and monitoring their effectiveness through governance and assurance
– Managing a team to deliver safety outputs
– Providing advice and support to colleagues, ensuring that appropriate safety requirements are correctly applied and delivered in contracts, as well as managing contractors who perform safety management activities on behalf of DE&S
– You may be required to act as a specialist member or secretariat of Safety Panels and Committees
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application, you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* You will hold a minimum of a Level 4 (e.g. HNC) qualification in a relevant engineering or science discipline, or demonstrate equivalent working experience
* You will demonstrate knowledge and experience in the implementation of a Safety and/or Environmental Management System (noting that this is a systems safety role and not OSHE)
* You will have experience constructing safety arguments or Safety/Environmental Cases within heavily-regulated industry (e.g. automotive, aerospace, petrochemical, nuclear, rail, defence)
Link to DE&S advert:
To find out more, get in touch