About The Role
Are you a Support Worker who is motivated to make a positive contribution to the lives of the people we support and with a can-do approach to their work? Are you prepared to go the extra mile to ensure a positive outcome for your clients? If so, please read on.
We are looking for a Support Worker to join our Bristol Young Peoples team who work with low support vulnerable young people aged 16-25, who are impacted or threatened by homelessness in Bristol. The service also supports young people who are leaving care. The support will be tenancy sustainment and will help young people to achieve their goals and aspirations and move on with skills to be independent in managing on their own.
As Support Worker, you will be providing housing related support, however you will be working closely with other agencies around specific needs including mental health and domestic violence, private letting agents and landlords and/or others.
The role involves managing tenancy, housing management, working with benefits (housing benefits, universal credits, PIP and other), bills, exploring options around education, training and employment, writing support plans and risk assessment, budgeting, engaging with other professionals, working towards move-on from temporary accommodation.
This position is field based and you will be working in a team of 6 people, who are working with 45 young people across Bristol. We are very proud of our work and helping young people is at the heart of everything we do.
Experience in a similar role would be desirable, however what is most important is having a passion for helping people in the local community.
This role will be challenging at times as you will be working with and supporting clients across a range of difficult and challenging issues/behaviours; an attention to detail, using your initiative and problem solving will be key.
This role is being offered on a full-time basis, working 37 hours per week. Bandwidth hours will be 8.00 am to 6.00 pm.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable groups and expect all colleagues to share this commitment. Appointment to the post will be subject to a satisfactory enhanced check via the Disclosure and Barring Service.
About The Candidate
To be considered for this opportunity you will:
– Have empathy and understanding of the needs of clients who are experiencing homelessness and the barriers they face.
– Have an understanding or experience, of issues surrounding homelessness and good awareness of associated risks this may bring such as alcohol and substance misuse, mental health, self-harm, offending behaviours.
– Have understanding or experience of debt management.
– Be able to build networks to be able to source accommodation options and opportunities for clients.
– Be resilient with the ability to be open and responsive to the challenging needs of clients and commissioners of the service.
– Have an understanding, or experience, of lone working.
– Have a knowledge and understanding of welfare and housing benefits.
– Have the ability to motivate and engage clients in the service and their pathway to independence.
– Be able to adapt your style and be able to ‘think on the spot’ when reacting to difficult situations.
– Understand the impact of trauma and can show us you have experience of or the ability to provide high-quality support whilst managing challenging situations.
– Committed to LiveWest values and bring enthusiasm and willingness within all aspects of the role and service.
– Have good IT skills, excellent interpersonal skills and understand the importance of working within equal opportunities, safeguarding and confidentiality guidelines.
– Be able to communicate on different levels both verbally and in writing.
The most important part of this role is to have pride in your work and have a positive attitude, a proactive approach and the confidence to support a diverse range of people.
You will be able to balance your passion and commitment with good organisational skills, and the ability to maintain appropriate boundaries.
In return, we provide a generous entitlement to paid holiday increasing with length of service, a pension scheme, a healthcare cash back plan, and great opportunities and support to develop your career.
About The Company
At LiveWest, we believe in a home for everyone. We own and manage over 37,000 homes across the South West, from Cornwall to Gloucestershire.
We take the time to listen to, understand and learn from our customers. We focus on thriving as a business and employer, so we can deliver more homes and even better services.
As an Inclusive Employer, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all colleagues. For further information about our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion policy, please visit our website.